Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Ode of the Leech

---published in Nature in Focus in Oct 2017  https://www.natureinfocus.in/story/a-leech-s-ode/

A leech after it had its fill of blood


I am a common leech, quite thin and small, just about an inch tall, 
I lie under the leaves on the forest floor, trying to escape the heat, 
When suddenly, the skies open up and there is rainfall.
I come out of hibernation, ravenously hungry and ready to eat. 

Then along comes a naïve fellow, wanting to spot an elephant, 
Eager to see the pachyderm, he misses me waiting on the ground, 
I silently jump on to his shoe and crawl up his pants
I move stealthily, making not a single sound. 

I clamber up his socks, and take a deep dive in
He does not feel me; he does not sense the prick 
As I enjoy the warmth and the smell of blood on his skin, 
The chemical that I release stops the clotting and does the trick. 

I drink in his blood, swelling up and enjoying the trip, 
He feels the wet blood, and is shocked to finally see me 
He starts to pull at me but alas, I have a tenacious grip
All his forceful pulling and yanking will not set him free. 

Finally, I slide off his leg, bloated and red; 
I am sated and decide I have had enough of the pitch 
But this man – he needs to be taught a lesson, he is haughty in his head 
I have the last laugh, for now I have given him the 3-month itch! 

No comments:

Post a Comment