Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Living in the Now


----- Published in Women's Era, in the January I 2019 issue





Have you tried to get a reluctant child to exercise? And have you been successful?  If you have, then you certainly have great persuading skills!

Jokes apart, getting my 11-year old daughter to jog with me is a herculean task.  I have to coax her, encourage her, push her and sometimes pull her too.  On one such outing, after plenty of whining (from her end), we agree to alternate between walking and jogging every few metres.   During one such ‘walking time’, my daughter devises a game and tells me to close my eyes and walk, while she will hold my hand and guide me along.

Now, it is my turn to whine and throw excuses -  I am scared that I might fall down. I am moving away from my comfort zone and that is unsettling.   But my daughter is insistent and I finally give in.  I reluctantly take a few steps – my mind is totally out of synch, what with the organ of sight not providing it with the necessary images to navigate the way.  I hold my daughter’s hand tightly and instruct her to warn me if there is a pothole or an obstruction along the path.
I am not sure if I am walking straight.  I can feel my entire body swaying to the right.  That is when the thought hits me – with my eyes closed, I am able to feel every movement of my body.  Every time I raise my leg, I can feel every muscle moving.  I am now more aware of all the sounds around me – an approaching vehicle, a dog barking, sound of brooms sweeping, birds chirping. I am also able to feel every small change in the lay of the road – a slight dip, a small pebble, a sudden ascent. With the eyes closed, my other sensory organs seem to be more active and I am able to sense and perceive a lot more things around me. 

My daughter warns me that we next have to take a step down.  What would have been a normal step with open eyes, now seems to be a ‘big step’ with my eyes closed.  I move my foot expecting to touch the ground but it takes a few micro-seconds more before I actually place my foot on the ground.  Those extra micro-seconds seem more like a minute to me.

This simple game that my daughter devised drove home a few basic truths. 




1. I realised and understood the idea of being mindful, of being in the present, of enjoying and being aware of happenings in and around me.   In our fast-paced lives, in our urgency to reach from point A to point B, we forget to appreciate the path we travel by.   This simple game reiterated the fact that we need to slow down and stop to smell the roses.  We need to be aware and be sensitive to the happenings around us.


2. My initial reaction when she asked me to walk with eyes closed was an immediate ‘NO”.  I was not happy to do it.  Why?  Was it the fear of appearing foolish, the fear of falling down or just the fear of moving away from my comfort zone?  I guess children are more open to try new things.  We as adults, are hardened and do not see the beauty or the enjoyment one can derive from simple acts. 
Let the child in you play with your child

3. My daughter’s little game taught me to loosen up.  It gave me a chance to let out the child in me and enjoy the moment.  In fact, when I opened my eyes, I was all smiles and both of us had a good laugh.



4. And finally I realised these simple moments spent with my daughter would remain etched forever in my mind.  Children grow up all too fast and before we know it, they are leading their own lives.  So, I was happy to be enjoying the time with her and making pleasant memories.   

Next up on my daughter’s activity list is to ‘balance walk on the edge of the kerb’. Would you like to join?  Please do.



Picture Credit - the images used in this post are not mine.  They have been taken from the internet.

9 comments:

  1. Well written. Live in the present - this basic philosophy, we forget and think of the future....Make your writing regular, Sudha....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PV..yes, I need to write more. Will do that this year.

      Delete
  2. Too good. Such great lessons to learn in small things. Very good write-up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vani...we have plenty to learn from kids, especially the art of enjoying simple things.

      Delete
  3. Wow..a very nice write up. Loved reading it ! Living the moment is the key..Simple ..yet not so simple :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shuba...yes, it sounds simple but definitely needs plenty of practise!

      Delete
  4. Simple things how we forget sometimes. Great story and reminder for all to slow down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading this Aparna. I am sure you will have similar stories to narrate with Rohan.

      Delete